Uni is something that you hate or love. I've never met someone that's an in between. Even if you were, it's a lie and the most likely truth is that you hate it.
When I heard that Big Catch Seafood House is offering a special Uni-verse 8 dish course it's a no brainer that my heart just melted. Not even thinking that this would be the best place to take a date for valentines day, but a date that I can take myself.
The uni is from Maruhide. Most of you know it as the Maruhide Uni Club. These red sea urchins are caught along the Channel Island off the Santa Barbara in California, also called Aka-Uni in Japanese. It has a sweet, creamy texture with a beautiful deep orange/red color. For a limited time, Big Catch is collaborating with Maruhide to create unique course such as this. It brings the Uni Club closer to you so you don't have to trek out to long beach.
This is the full grand slam of the meal. The glass of champagne is additional and pairs really nicely. If you're not a fan of champaign they also have a full bar for your liking.
The 8 course consists of:
- Uni Onsen Tamago - Hot Spring egg / Salmon roe/ dried seaweed/ pickled wasabi/ dashi soy
- Uni Blue Fin Tororo - Blue fin tuna/ Mountain Yam/ pickled cucumber/ ohba leaf/ uni soy
- Uni Oyster with Ikura - Kumiai oyster/ Salmon roe/ scallion/ ponzu
- Uni Toro - Fatty tuna (belly)/ flying fish roe/ ohba leaf/ kombu soy
- Seared Uni Scallop - Seared Scallop/ Mango/ Sea Salt/ Olive Oil/ Ohba Leaf
- Uni Garlic Flan - Garlic Flan/ Salmon Roe/ Micro Rainbow/ Chives
- Uni Toast - Dried Seaweed/ Chives/ triple creme cheese/ toast
- Mini Uni Pasta - Uni Sauce/ Flying fish roe/ dried seaweed/ chives
You can get everything I mentioned for a promotional $88. Will eventually hit up to $108 so I would recommend giving it a taste. This course is limited to 5 orders per day. If you plan on making a reservation ahead of time, make sure to mention you would want to order this.
Below is a closer look at this amazing feast:
Let me know your thoughts after you've given this a try.
Big Catch Seafood
2 S Garfield Ave Ste 100 Alhambra, CA 91801